The Student News Site of Norwalk High School

Norwalk Spear

Norwalk Spear

Norwalk Spear

Summer Reading Kickoff Party Set for Saturday

Ash Shelledy reads on their phone as they eat lunch in the cafeteria on May 21. They like to read and are planning to participate in  the summer reading program this summer.
Sierra Sammons
Ash Shelledy reads on their phone as they eat lunch in the cafeteria on May 21. They like to read and are planning to participate in the summer reading program this summer.

The library’s summer reading kickoff party will be on Saturday, June 1, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. for all ages.

Summer reading logs can be picked up in the library and several students around NHS like to read.

Sabrina Hautekeete said that she thought reading is a very good pastime and it’s nice to sit down and read.

“There’s text but it’s up to whoever reads it to interpret what they think the story is about,” she said.

Hautekeete said the best environment to read is somewhere calm.

“I like to read out in my hammock when it’s sunny,” she said.

She said her favorite place to read was under her bed.

“I used to have a loft bed and there was a space under my desk, with a pillow and plug in lights that would change colors,” Hautekeete said.

Hautekeete said she likes fantasy books. One of her favorites is Percy Jackson and she’s been rereading the series lately because the TV series came out.

“I just really like the series. I started reading in 3rd grade and I thought it was cool that a child was beating up a war god for fun,” she said.

Hautekeete has participated in the summer reading program before and was considering doing it this year.

“I’ve thought about it,” She said. “I’m not sure I’ll have time to because I’m working.”

Zane Gardner said he likes to read and the best place to read is somewhere comfy, such as his bed or a reclinable armchair.

“It helps me escape the terrible thing we call reality and it’s enjoyable,” he said.

Gardner said he’s enjoyed the Skylander series, Garfield comics, and one of his favorites is Wings of Fire.

“It’s interesting and has a good plot throughout each arc,” he said. “The Legends books are just good and I need to reread Wings of Fire.”

Lydia Reeves said she likes reading and her favorite place to read is in her room on the floor.

“The best environment is a calm space where you feel like you can chill and relax and read,” she said.

Reeves said she likes a lot of fiction books and her favorite book is “Wonder.”

“It’s a really good book,” Reeves said. “I like the different storylines and how they made it into a movie. I also like how it talks about how different people in the world have to deal with the issues described.”

Ash Shelledy said they’ll read basically anywhere.

“I like reading a lot,” they said. “It’s an escape for me.”

They said their favorite environments are quiet and dark with quiet music because they’re easy to focus in.

Shelledy said they liked manga, action, fantasy, and horror novels.

They said they’re currently reading “The 57 Bus” for English and are enjoying it.

“It has a good plot, it’s interesting, and it has characters I can relate to and issues I care about,” they said. “It’s an interesting story and it’s engaging.”

Shelledy said they will be participating in the summer reading program this year and they hope to go to the party.

The library will have bounce houses, craft stations, yard games, bubbles, sidewalk chalk, and a foam cannon for the party.

There will be free popcorn and the Tropical Sno truck and D’ Ice Cream Man truck will be selling shaved ice treats, ice cream, State Fair mini donuts, and jumbo pretzels.

All information can be found at https://norwalklibrary.libcal.com/event/11374563.

Donate to Norwalk Spear

Your donation will support the student journalists of Norwalk High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.