Norwalk High School opens new Warrior Cafe

Roe Molinas Foods 2 class makes pizzas on Oct 28. He is showing Lauryn Pothast how they should be done for the upcoming Warrior Cafe.

Kay Widen

Roe Molina’s Foods 2 class makes pizzas on Oct 28. He is showing Lauryn Pothast how they should be done for the upcoming Warrior Cafe.

Kay Widen, Former Staff Writer

Freshly made food will soon be available at Norwalk High School. Culinary arts teacher Roe Molina’s Warrior Cafe is prepared to have a soft opening in the fall. The cafe will be open to teachers and minimum students. In the spring it will be open to the public. 

“I’m excited to see the items on the menu (like a cheese quesadilla),” said Nyah Hulbert, sophomore in Foods 2 and future worker of the Warrior Cafe.

The cafe is a student-led enterprise and allows students to get a feel of the food industry hands-on. The original idea came from the previous foods teacher and Molina wanted to continue his legacy.

“I want students to learn the responsibilities that are a part of the food industry,” Molina said. “It is a great way for them to plan and run a team.”

The students that are a part of the cafe will be given aprons or uniforms and their jobs will change consistently to spread the workload and to understand what every position means.

Molina said it means a lot to him.

“I am happy to teach students real-world skills,” he said. “I want them to be able to get the experience and learn the financial aspects.” 

Students said they are excited to work at the Warrior Cafe. 

“It will be a good way to learn experience in the food industry,” said Blake Gooding, senior in Foods 2 and future worker of the Warrior Cafe.

Another student is looking forward to what it holds.

“It’s a good opportunity for students to get involved,” said Lauryn Pothast, junior in Foods 2 and future worker of the Warrior Cafe.

Ava Herrick, sophomore in Foods 2 and future worker of the Warrior Cafe, said she is excited to see what the customers think.

“I hope people enjoy the food,” she said.