The Student News Site of Norwalk High School

Norwalk Spear

Norwalk Spear

Norwalk Spear

Prom 2024

Students reflect on their prom experience and what their favorite part of prom was this year
Kyle Erickson
Norwalk students gather with senior Jayden Overton attending prom virtually on Saturday, April 6, at the Science Center of Iowa. Friends of Overton made it possible for him to attend his senior Prom despite being unable to make it.

More than 300 Norwalk High School students and their guests attended the 2024 prom at the Science Center in downtown Des Moines.

Norwalk High School held its 2024 prom at the Science Center in downtown Des Moines on Saturday, April 6. 

“I really liked prom at the science center this year,” said Dawson King, Senior at Norwalk High School.

“It was a fun place to hang out with friends and all the activities you can do there are really fun,” King said.

The party started at 8:00 p.m. and went to midnight. After-prom was held at Spare Time in Des Moines and ended around 3 a.m.

King said he was happy when his friend Lex Marshall was selected for prom king as well as Audrey Adams as prom queen. Marshall said he was grateful for this experience.

”My favorite part about prom was being selected for prom king,” Marshall said. “It was an honor to be selected for this award and I could not be more thankful for everyone who picked me.” 

Marshall said this was the first time he was selected for prom king despite running multiple times, so being selected was very important to him. 

Senior Jayden Overton was recently in an accident that made it impossible for him to attend prom in person. However, his friends brought him to Prom virtually using video cameras, a TV, and stand that was dressed up for prom in a Hawaiian shirt. 

“My favorite part about Prom was being able to help my friend in the hospital attend through Facetime,” said senior Caleb Kitterman.“Even though it’s unfortunate to see my friend in that situation, It was cool to help him out and still have fun with him even though he wasn’t there in person”. 

Donate to Norwalk Spear

Your donation will support the student journalists of Norwalk High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.