The Student News Site of Norwalk High School

Norwalk Spear

Norwalk Spear

Norwalk Spear

Following the Four Years

With graduation just around the corner, Norwalk High School seniors share their future plans and favorite memories from high school
Norwalk journalism and yearbook students attend the Iowa High School Press Association’s fall conference on Oct. 19, 2023, at the University of Iowa. This conference gave high school students an opportunity to visit the University of Iowa and their campus.

As the class of 2024 nears their last semester of high school, Norwalk seniors are reflecting on their future plans following graduation.

Some students plan on attending 4-year colleges and universities, while some plan to go into the workforce or the military. 

However, senior Kyle Erickson said he plans on attending two different colleges after high-school.

“I am planning on going to DMACC for one year, and heading up to North Dakota University for three years,” he said. “My current plans are majoring in mass communication and broadcasting.”

Erickson said North Dakota University shortly became his favorite school.

“It was a little bit of a choice, but North Dakota was my dream college for a long time,” he said. “I’ve had a lot of family members who went there in the past. I visited the campus, and it was a fun experience and a very nice university.”

In college, Erickson plans to become involved in music, as it was one of his favorite experiences during high school.

“I do a lot of music, so I’m planning on getting involved in a marching band, a pep band, and maybe join a choir too,” he said. “All state choir, when I got to go to Iowa state to sing, was probably my best experience from high school.”

Many students remember their 4-years by throwing grad parties to celebrate with their friends and family. Erickson said he wants to host his party at home. 

“I plan to do a grad party at home,” he said. “I think it’s an easy and nice way to celebrate graduation.”

Another senior, Taylor Stanley, said she is also planning a graduation party. 

“I plan on having a grad party a few days after graduation, so that my family out of state can attend both,” she said. “I think a graduation party is a great way to celebrate the transition from high school to college or your future life outside of high school.”

When it comes to college visits, Stanley said she went on multiple different kinds. 

“I started looking into college my junior year,” she said. “I attended multiple meetings during school with representatives from different colleges, and those helped me to get a basic idea. From there, I signed up for in-person tours and meetings at the universities.”

Similar to Erickson, Stanley said she plans to attend college this fall.

“I plan to attend UNI to study business,” she said. “Outside of business, I want to stay involved in music such as auditioning for jazz, concert, and marching bands.”

However, Stanley said college decisions are not easy. 

“I was deciding between two different majors in my head, and each one leaned towards a different school,” she said. “So it wasn’t only which school I liked better, but making that inner decision of what I want to do, and finding a school that is more geared towards that interest.”

Stanley said there are many aspects when considering college commitment. 

“My top school was UNI, but I also considered The University of Iowa, and I visited Mizzou,” she said. “My favorite is UNI because of the size of the school, and there are good programs for the areas I am interested in.”

Senior Riley Samuelson said she has recently made her college decision official.

“My current plans are to attend the University of Northern Iowa, majoring in business or Human Resources,” she said. “I plan on having a graduation party to celebrate with my friends and family.”

Samuelson said her favorite part of high school revolved around her involvement and those around her.

“The thing that has been the most memorable for me was being involved in different activities, and being able to gain lots of new friends.”

Donate to Norwalk Spear

Your donation will support the student journalists of Norwalk High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.