The Student News Site of Norwalk High School

Norwalk Spear

Norwalk Spear

Norwalk Spear

Norwalk gets into the holiday spirit

Students and staff talk about what the holidays mean to them
Dulguun Batzaya
Norwalk High School Principal Chris Basinger works in his office on Nov. 28. “One thing that we do is we get pajamas for everybody, so when we get up next morning we’re all in our new Christmas pajamas,” he said.

As the holiday season approaches, Norwalk High School is buzzing with cheer of excitement for Christmas break from students and staff. 

“To me the important Christmas thing to do is spending time with my family,” said Principal Chris Basinger. “We make a list of different activities each year starting in December. We try to get as many things done as we can and another thing is like ringing the Bell for the Salvation Army, how we can serve the community and also some of it is fun. Winter things you don’t get to do all year around.”

Braydon Plourde, a sophomore at Norwalk High School, said Christmas time is just a great time, just the whole spirit of it. 

“Usually we go over to my grandparents’ house the day or a couple days before Christmas and we open gifts with my entire mom’s side of the family, and we have lunch there the whole day,” Plourde said. “As a family we all open up our gifts. Last Christmas was really fun. I got some good gifts, which I really enjoyed.” 

Plourde said he hopes to have fun with his brother this Christmas.

“Next year I just hope that we still have a good time because my brother is going off to college so hopefully he’ll still be able to come back home for Christmas,” Plourde said. “But other than that, I’m just excited.”

Norwalk High School counselor Sarah Adams works in her office on Nov. 28 at the Student Counseling Center. “Originally my mom’s side of the family is Norwegian so we have some of the traditional Norwegian traditional pastries,” she said. (Dulguun Batzaya)

Counselor Sarah Adams said her family’s Christmas starts right after Thanksgiving. 

“So usually the weekend after Thanksgiving, we decorate, we get the tree out – and I guess I have a couple trees at home – and get ready for the holiday season.” she said.

Adams said they also continue some family traditions during Christmas. 

“Originally my mom’s side of the family is Norwegian so we have some of the traditional Norwegian traditional pastries,” Adams said.

Also over the holidays Adams thinks about the coming year. 

“I always hope that we start the New Year well,” she said. “Here at school, I always wish that we can get the kids finished with the semester and help them find classes that they wanna take to help them with their goals.”

Colin Campbell, a sophomore at Norwalk High School, said he got a part for his computer and a lot of clothes for Christmas last year.

“Just the holiday season, I like the feeling of it,” said Campbell. “This year I want shoes. Nike Shoes. Air Jordan 1, probably purple and white.”

Norwalk High School will be soon back in action after Christmas break on Wednesday, Jan. 3. Basinger said he hopes for everyone to have a great 2024.

“I wish for everyone to be healthy and happy for the following year,” Basinger said. “Hope everybody is still around to enjoy another Christmas.”

Donate to Norwalk Spear

Your donation will support the student journalists of Norwalk High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.