From Spain to the Plains

Student moves from Spain to Norwalk with his whole family

Kasey Ludlow, Staff Writer

All the way from the east coast of Spain, Norwalk senior Aleix Torró Abad is spending his first year in the United States and his last year in high school.

“The biggest cultural difference would be the lifestyle,” Aleix said. “People in my hometown go to work by foot everywhere. People here go by car.”

Aleix’s mom applied to participate in a program that places much-needed Spanish teachers at schools in the United States. Their whole family moved to Norwalk this summer and plans to stay for three years.

Aleix came to America with his entire family. His sister, Mariola, is a sophomore in high school and both of his parents work in the school. His mom, Mrs. Abad Catalan, is a Spanish Ⅰ and Ⅱ teacher in the high school, and his dad, Mr. Torró Enguix, is a paraeducator in the middle school.

“My favorite part so far is the fast food and the school sports,” Aleix said. “In Spain we don’t have a lot of school sports, but we have club sports. Also, the level of skill is much higher here.”

Something different about Spanish schools is how they operate. In Spanish schools there are no phones and food allowed during class and there are 20- to 30-minute breaks for snacks. In general they eat very late in Spain, so students don’t eat until school is over. They eat breakfast in the morning, lunch around 2 p.m. and dinner around 9 p.m.

“In Spain I saw snow like three times in all my life, so I am excited to see what winter is like,” Aleix said.

Aidan Basinger gives him rides to and from school every day, and he started giving him rides to and from cross country practice. He described Aleix in one word as “excited.”

“He’s a lot more happy about everything and he likes to be in a lot of activities.” Basinger said.

“Don’t be shy; always say yes,” Aleix said. “Imagine if I said no to some plans. I would have no friends right now.”

Aleix is also studying for his university entrance exam to study chemistry in Spain. He studies two hours a day for the exam, and he plans to go back to take the exam before a gap year in the United States, where he plans to work and take DMACC courses.

“I like both ways of life and I am happy that we got the opportunity to come to America.” Aleix said.