The Student News Site of Norwalk High School

Norwalk Spear

Norwalk Spear

Norwalk Spear

Norwalk Students Watch the Eclipse

Ms. Poole works on her laptop during fifth hour on Tuesday, April 16th. Poole saw the eclipse as a learning opportunity for her class, and took her students outside to see it.
Sierra Sammons

An eclipse happened last week and Norwalk students had mixed reactions to seeing it.

“I thought it was really cool, and I liked the shade of the glasses because it made it look cool,” said Chloe Lynn. “It was pretty.”

Lynn said she went out to watch the eclipse during 7th hour, and later went out with Mr. Clay’s class.

“It was really underwhelming compared to the pictures of the path of totality,” she said. “I wish I could have traveled.”

Rylee Campbell said she got picked up by her mom to watch the eclipse at Elizabeth Holland Park. She got glasses from her mom when she got in the car.

“I thought it was bright even with the glasses on,” said Campbell.

Elizabeth Winters said the eclipse wasn’t as dramatic as what she expected.

“I expected to not need the glasses in the path of totality,” she said.

Winters said she went outside with her class, and took turns wearing glasses.

“I saw it during 7th period, so it wasn’t at the full percent, ” she said. “I brought my glasses, it was kinda hype.”

Ms. Poole used the eclipse as a learning opportunity for her class. She explained how a total eclipse occurs.

“During a total eclipse, the moon’s orbit aligns with our view of the sun,” she said. “It happens about every 360 years for a certain area, it blocks light and we can see the sun’s atmosphere.”

Poole said that the path of totality covers only a certain area because of how we view the sun and moon.

“The moon is 400 times smaller, but also 400 times closer, so it has to do with perspective,” she said. “It’s like standing in the hallway. If you stand at a certain spot, you can cover a person with your finger, but at a different spot it wouldn’t work. You have to be in a really certain spot to see it fully covered”.

According to Ms. Poole, the best place to see an eclipse is when there are no clouds, and in the path of totality. Poole said this year it was Mexico.

Poole said she took up the opportunity to share the eclipse with her students.

“We went outside because it’s a rare thing to happen, and related to science,” she said. “I think everyone enjoyed seeing it.”

Donate to Norwalk Spear

Your donation will support the student journalists of Norwalk High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.